Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu


What is the Honors College?

The Honors College at Boise State University provides talented, highly-motivated undergraduate students with a challenging curriculum and a variety of co-curricular activities. Open to students from all academic majors, the Honors College offers students the personalized attention of a small liberal arts school while drawing upon the resources of a large metropolitan university. The specific benefits of participating in the Honors College include:

    • Innovative courses
    • Close contact with faculty
    • Individualized academic counseling
    • Extended Library privileges
    • Camaraderie among students with similar interests
    • Special social activities
    • Recognition at graduation
    • Enhanced career opportunities
    • Priority Registration

Why should I apply to the Honors College?

Graduating from the Honors College shows graduate schools and employers that you have achieved academic success in rigorous courses and have worked with some of the best professors at Boise State. There are many advantages to being a part of the Honors College:

      • It is a prestigious organization. When people know you’re a member of the Honors College, they take notice.
      • You will qualify for extra scholarships.
      • It is a social and cultural community, giving you a chance to interact with distinguished students like yourself and make lifetime connections.
      • Upon graduation, you will receive an additional diploma from the Honors College and medallion to wear at Commencement.
      • You will receive priority registration for classes.
      • Class sizes are smaller, allowing you to work more closely with your professors and get more help when you need it.
      • Honors courses are taught by distinguished professors. You’ll be learning from the best.

What grades do I need to enter the Honors College?

Entrance requirements for incoming freshmen are an un-weighted high school GPA of at least 3.5, strong performance on ACT or SAT examinations, an application essay, and a clear record of extra-curricular experiences, activities, and achievements.

What if I am not an incoming freshman?

Transfer and continuing Boise State students may enter the Honors College if they have completed a minimum of 15 college credits with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5.

What grade point average must I maintain to remain in the Honors College?

All students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25. Any student whose GPA falls below 3.25 for two consecutive semesters will be ineligible to do additional Honors work until this requirement is met.

How difficult are Honors courses?

Honors courses set high expectations, but most Honors students find them stimulating and fulfilling. One of the most important differences between Honors courses and regular courses is the approach professors use when teaching the course material; Honors courses tend to rely upon more advanced readings, place a premium on writing, and stress student participation.

Are scholarships available for Honors students?

In addition to the various types of financial aid available to all Boise State students through the Financial Aid Office, Honors students are eligible for a variety of Honors scholarships.

Is there special housing on campus for Honors student?

Members of the Honors College are eligible to live with other Honors students in Driscoll Hall or University  Suites. Driscoll Hall is centrally located near the library and the Student Union, this coed residence hall also contains the Honors College offices.

What do I have to do to graduate from the Honors College?

Please see the Honors Requirements page for a breakdown of requirements based on your catalog year.

Is an Honors Senior Project required?

There are two options for graduating from the Honors College – one with a senior project and one without. The Honors College encourages you to do the senior project (particularly if you are planning on graduate or professional school), but recognizes that not all major fields are suited to that format. If your schedule and major just don’t allow for a senior project, you can choose to graduate from the Honors College without one; however, many departments already require a senior project already, which you can combine with your Honors project. If you decide to complete the project, there are two parts to the process:

  • The first semester your senior year, you must take the Senior Honors Prospectus, which is a one credit ‘course’ where you explore what you would like to do your senior project on and write a project proposal for the Honors College to approve. You must also ask two faculty members to work with you: one to be your advisor and the other to be a secondary reader and resource.
  • Then, during the last semester of your senior year, you will take a three credit Honors senior project. A final product (research paper, lab work, creative performance, etc.) is completed. The student presents his/her findings in a public forum such as the BSU Undergraduate Research Conference, a class in the student’s major, or at an academic conference. The faculty mentor then grades the student’s work and turns in the grade to the Honors College Director.

What is the H-option? How do I use it?

H-Options allows you to receive Honors credits for a regular class, often one required by your major but not generally included in typical Honors offerings. To receive Honors credits, you must complete additional coursework in addition to the requirements of the class. Though H-Options can make it easier for students to get all their requirements, they should be used sparingly. When replacing Honors courses with H-Options, you miss out on the interaction with other Honors students and Honors faculty.

My GPA is dropping; what do I do?

The Honors requirements state that a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 must be maintained. They also state that if you fall below the GPA requirements two semesters in a row, you will be dropped from the Honors College. Don’t be intimidated! Many students’ GPA drops below these, especially during the freshman year when making the adjustment from high school to college. If you have good reasons, you can petition the Honors College to grant you an extension of your grace period, giving you time to bring your GPA back up. Even if you do have to withdraw from the College for a semester, you can reapply once your GPA is up again.

All of these Honors courses conflict with the courses I need. Are there any other options?

H-Options, Study Abroad, and Independent Study are great alternate ways of earning Honors credits. Schedule a meeting with an advisor to learn more.