The Honors College sponsors and presents Boise State University’s Distinguished Lecture Series. Twice a year, the Series brings eminent speakers to Boise State from the realm of politics, academics, and humanitarian activism to promote the discussion of important issues.
Fall 2018 Speaker:
Antony J. Blinken
The Distinguished Lecture Series will feature Antony J. Blinken. The former Deputy Secretary of State will present “Is Democracy in Trouble – What Does the Rise in Populism and Authoritarianism Portend for Democracies Worldwide?”
Blinken has held senior foreign policy positions in two administrations over three decades. He was confirmed by the U. S. Senate in December 2014 as Deputy Secretary of State, the nation’s number two diplomat. As Deputy Secretary, Blinken has traveled to 38 countries, helping to lead diplomacy in the fight against ISIL/Daesh, the rebalance to Asia and the global refugee crisis. He has also built bridges to the innovation community, creating a full-time State Department presence in Silicon Valley and the State Department Innovation Forum, which enlists technologists in solving foreign policy problems
For additional information, visit go.boisestate.edu/distinguishedlectures.
- Werner Herzog: Award-winning screenwriter, film director, author, and actor
- Sarah Lewis: Bestselling Author and Assistant Professor at Harvard University
- Carl Wieman: Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist and Professor of the Graduate School of Education at Stanford University
- Julia Gillard: Former Prime Minister of Australia, Minister for Education, Employment and Workplace Relations and Social Inclusion, public speaker, and member of the United Nations Security Council
- Margaret Atwood: Literary influence, Booker Prize winner, and distinguished author of poetry, children’s literature, fiction, and non-fiction.
- Sir Salmon Rushdie: Distinguished author, public intellectual, and free-speech proponent
- Richard Heinzl: Founder of the first North American chapter of Doctors Without Borders
- Jonathan Spence: Respected Historian and China Expert
- Louis Menand: Pulitzer Prize-winning author and scholar of American studies
- Steven Pinker: Cognitive scientist one of the world’s foremost writers on language, mind and human nature
- Susan Solomon: Climate scientist internationally recognized as a leader in atmospheric science, 2007 Nobel Laureate, and Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology