The Honors College sponsors and presents Boise State University’s Distinguished Lecture Series. Twice a year, the Series brings eminent speakers to Boise State from the realm of politics, academics, and humanitarian activism to promote the discussion of important issues.
Fall 2017 Speaker:
Iranian-American Bestselling Author Azar Nafisi is best known as the author of the national bestseller Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books, which electrified its readers with a compassionate and often harrowing portrait of the Islamic revolution in Iran and how it affected one university professor and her students. Earning high acclaim and an enthusiastic readership, Reading Lolita in Tehran is an incisive exploration of the transformative powers of fiction in a world of tyranny. The book has spent over 117 weeks on The New York Times bestseller list.
Her most recent book is entitled The Republic of Imagination: America in Three Books (October 2014), a powerful and passionate case for the vital role of fiction in America today. The title of the lecture is “The Republic of the Imagination” and a book signing will take place after the remarks.
For additional information, visit go.boisestate.edu/distinguishedlectures.
Past speakers include:
- Sarah Lewis: Bestselling Author and Assistant Professor at Harvard University
- Carl Wieman: Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist and Professor of the Graduate School of Education at Stanford University
- Julia Gillard: Former Prime Minister of Australia, Minister for Education, Employment and Workplace Relations and Social Inclusion, public speaker, and member of the United Nations Security Council
- Margaret Atwood: Literary influence, Booker Prize winner, and distinguished author of poetry, children’s literature, fiction, and non-fiction.
- Sir Salmon Rushdie: Distinguished author, public intellectual, and free-speech proponent
- Richard Heinzl: Founder of the first North American chapter of Doctors Without Borders
- Jonathan Spence: Respected Historian and China Expert
- Louis Menand: Pulitzer Prize-winning author and scholar of American studies
- Steven Pinker: Cognitive scientist one of the world’s foremost writers on language, mind and human nature
- Susan Solomon: Climate scientist internationally recognized as a leader in atmospheric science, 2007 Nobel Laureate, and Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology